Thursday, June 30, 2005

Katie takes over...

I guess I better get back to bloggin on this thing before Katie takes over...

When Jamies kids were here we used (or should I say they, I was pre-occupied with my weekly grocery shopping) the elevator to send all the canned items from the storeroom up. They are all in the cooler (its off) upstairs in the galley. I am using my walk-in cooler like a pantry and we are also using the boutique as a small pantry of sorts. We tend to keep stuff that would be more beneficial to the caretakers in there like chips, crackers, cereals, fresh fruits...Things of a single serving nature easily accessed at any time.

I will eventually move all the pasta and beans upstairs from the storeroom to the galley and also store them in the cooler/pantry. To my surprise I realized the storeroom cooler and freezer doors were being shut while I was trying to leave them open to 'air out' after they have been shut off...So now I have mold and mildew on the plastic strips in the door and more fuzzy creatures growing in the holes of the rubber mats on the floor. So I guess I just figured out what my next cleaning job will be.

The galley is pretty hot now that there is no AC in it...But its cool compared to the galley on the Anastasis! Although, the heat and dirt that is in the air from work on the ship has my face breaking out like a teenager with bad skin!

I heard the comment before everyone left, 'why should you need much money with such a small crew left'. Food items cost more when you can't buy them at a bulk rate, don't have large amounts of storage, or spend part of the year in Central America (that keeps cost down some too). When I mean 'cost more' I mean per person per day, not feeding 9 people on a 100 person budget.

I let everybody have a say in what I shop for with meal preferences and etcetera...Come on, you really didn't think we were going to alternate cauliflower and squash (as a vegetable) & pork and meatballs (as a meat) till it was all gone did you?!?!?!

Its like I am personal chef for 9 people (sometimes more with guests).

For some of you who know how I sleep, or don't sleep...Off and on with crazy hours in between...From time to time I scare Maria Elena when I am coming and going or moving around the ship because she has the night watch except for the days she is off and Jeremy does it.

I guess Keeper (the dog) is doing alright...I don't mess with her much because its always a 50 percent chance she (psycho) is going to bite me. I have been bitten before by a pit bull and it was bloody with some scaring (but the scars are unnoticeable now), so I am not really worried about actually getting bit. Its the 'making me mad' part I am worried about, so its better just left alone.

Well, gotta go...Have some blanching to do this afternoon. First we will do the Aparagus, then the fresh green beans that I already 'snapped'...later I need to poach some pears for a great dessert.

What are you having for dinner?

tyronebcookin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home